Friday 8 October 2010

UK Baby Loss Awareness Week 9th to 15th October

In the UK 17 babies are stillborn or die shortly after birth every day (ref: SANDs). In the UK stillbirth is defined as death of a baby before birth at 24 weeks gestation or above. In England and Wales 5 out of every 1000 babies are stillborn (just over 3000 a year) (ref: NHS Direct).

www.babyloss-awareness.org
15th October is International Babyloss Day and various UK charities are commemorating the week leading up to this day. They are calling it Babyloss Awareness Week.

To commemorate UK Babyloss Awareness Week I wanted to do something with my blog. I have come across lots of blogs by women who have lost babies who have posted on their blog every day for 30 days with a list of posts. Some bloggers have adapted them to reflect their loss. Whilst I think that is a fabulous idea I know I couldn't realistically manage to update this blog daily for 30 consecutive days but thought I might manage 7, one post for every day of Babyloss Awareness Week.

So what to post? I started thinking about it and decided to adapt the original 30 post idea as seen in This girl will never be the same's blog which is:

Day 1 - your favorite song
Day 2 - your favorite movie
Day 3 - your favorite television program
Day 4 - your favorite book
Day 5 - your favorite quote
Day 6 - 20 of your favorite things
Day 7 - a photo that makes you happy
Day 8 - a photo that makes you angry/sad
Day 9 - a photo you took
Day 10 - a photo taken over 10 years ago of you
Day 11 - a photo of you recently
Day 12 - something you are OCD about
Day 13 - a fictional book
Day 14 - a non-fictional book
Day 15 - your dream house
Day 16 - a song that makes you cry (or nearly)
Day 17 - an art piece (drawing, sculpture, painting, etc)
Day 18 - my wedding/future wedding/past wedding
Day 19 - a talent of yours
Day 20 - a hobby of yours
Day 21 - a recipe
Day 22 - a website
Day 23 - a youtube video
Day 24 - where you live
Day 25 - your day, in great detail
Day 26 - your week, in great detail
Day 27 - your worst habit
Day 28 - what's in your handbag/purse
Day 29 - hopes, dreams, and plans for the next 365 days
Day 30 - a dream for the future

But I am going to concentrate on things that have happened since we lost Orson. But I do not want it to be a list of sad things instead I want to write about happy things. So that means superficial trivial things that have made me happy in the last three months. Here's my list:

Day 1- an album I have loved listening to
Day 2- a TV program that I have been able to get lost in whilst watching
Day 3 - a recipe I enjoyed cooking
Day 4 - a book I loved reading
Day 5 - photos that made me smile
Day6 - a purchase that made me happy
Day 7 - a trip away from home that I enjoyed

I start tomorrow. Exactly three months after Orson died.

No comments:

Post a Comment